one step at a time.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Walk it off

My Mum is up visiting this weekend. The consequence is that we are eating a LOT. Last night Mum made us garlic&rosemary roast lamb with courgette (remember what it looks like?), onion, carrot, cabbage, kale, potatoes and parsnips. Mmmmmm...............

This morning I still feel stuffed to the gills, so I will be take a pictoral theoretical walk. This is sure to make me feel better, especially if some of you would care to accompany me?




Birnam



Birnam is a village on the opposite side of the river Tay to Dunkeld. It is very pretty, quiet and relaxing. From Birnam woods you get a great view of Dunkeld, which almost looks like a German castle in this picture I think.






The river Tay is said to be clear and clean enough to drink here. I am not convinced, though it was certainly crystal clear, so did not test this theory. It seems silly to me.



Birnam shares the Big Tree tendancies of Dunkeld. I don't know what it is that makes the trees grow so well here. Perhaps it is the proximity and quality of the River Tay.... Perhaps it is the soil quality. Who knows? Perthshire is home to Britain's tallest hedge, and to our tallest trees.


Shakespeare used Birnam woods in his story Macbeth.


"Macbeth shall never vanquish’d be until Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill Shall come against him."

Macbeth, Act 4 Sc. 1 Shakespeare



In the story the three sisters (witches) prophesize that the wood will kill Macbeth. As his sounds like nonsense, this prophecy was disregarded.


Unfortunately for Macbeth, branches cut from Birnam wood are used to camouflage the army's attack leading to his demise.



There is only one oak tree remaining from this wood. It is 1ooo years old.













What would you do if you saw a hole like this in a big tree??




3 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Great scenery yet again. I must get me to Scotland.

the Book of Keira said...

Oh m'Gawd! Send your mum up my way... that lamb sounds soooo good!

CountryDew said...

Oh, what wonderful pictures! Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.